Our Adoption Process
Our animals are available to meet at adoption events throughout Sonoma and Marin counties.
Please bring your pet and come on down. We highly encourage applicants to bring the whole family when choosing a new pet. We're always happy to meet new friends and enjoy supporting local businesses such as Village Pets.
In certain circumstances we may be able to schedule private meet and greets with an adoptable dog or puppy and a potential adopter. For more information on a private meeting, please email us. Please be patient we are a 100% volunteer organization.
Dogma Animal Rescue will review each adoption application and will interview each applicant, by phone, email, or in person. If the prospective adopter is a likely fit for a particular dog or puppy, we will arrange for a meeting with the animal. Usually this will take place during our regularly scheduled adoption event.
Our goal is to place each dog with the adopter who is the best fit. At times, we have more than one qualified applicant interested in adopting a particular dog. To determine the best placement, we consider a number of factors. If, after meeting the dog or puppy, the prospective adopter wants to proceed, our foster coordinator and the foster parents will consult to determine next steps.
1. We do not approve any applicants under 25 years of age under any circumstances.
2. At the time of adoption we require all adopters to provide a photo ID before leaving with an animal.
3. If the address on the identification is different than your address of record we will also need to see a copy of a household bill that shows your name and current address. If you own your home we verify title online utilizing the county recorder's website.
4. If you live outside Sonoma, Marin or Napa counties do not make the drive to Sonoma county if you have not been pre-approve by one of our officers. We absolutely WILL NOT approve an out of area adoption the day of an event under any circumstances.
5. Dogma is a 100% volunteer organization, When applying for an animal from our rescue, please submit your adoption application before the adoption event. Individuals who have submitted their application and been vetted have priority the day of the event!
Our general adoption area is Sonoma, Marin, and Napa counties. In rare situations we will approve an adoption within the greater Bay Area, but not without being interviewed and approved prior to the adoption event. We do not approve out of state adoptions and we do not ship dogs under any circumstances.
In order to prevent unnecessary delays, we highly encourage interested adopters to complete and submit an application before the scheduled adoption event. We do our best to respond to each application, however, at times we receive hundreds of inquiries each week and cannot contact each individual. If you live in our local area we encourage you to come down to the event and speak with a Dogma representative.
All family members must attend the meeting to determine how the animal interacts with each individual. Dogma Animal Rescue reserves the right to conduct a home inspection before approving any adoption.
Adopted animals come with spay/neuter certificates, proof of micro-chipping, vaccination record, rabies certificate (over four months), and often shelter information. Our goal is to provide you with as much information and background about your new pet as possible.
Our adoption fees range from $200 to $500 per dog and are based on several factors: (i) characteristics of the dog (age, breed, breed mix, etc.); (ii) input costs (e.g. special medical treatments); (iii) special circumstances of the adopter; (iv) special circumstances of the dog (special needs, length of time in foster care, etc.); and (v) if a dog is being adopted along with another dog. All fees are applied to the purposes of rescuing, caring for, and placing dogs.